What is WriteAway?
WriteAway is a proposed collaboration by BC post-secondary institutions working together to create an online writing service for learners across the province. Through WriteAway, learners will connect seamlessly to a network of tutors and resources for writing assistance.
1. Provide a highly accessible service for learners on or off campus.
2. Create a collaborative service available more hours per week than any single institution could provide.
3. Assist institutions in their development of innovative educational technology.
4. Facilitate the sharing of expertise and the creation of a professional community of practice.
5. Increase equity through the post- secondary system through a service which benefits learners at large and small institutions, and in all geographic regions.
WriteAway will extend the writing support services currently offered at many institutions. These services are heavily used and benefit many learners, but have reached the limit of what can be achieved with the resources of a single institution. A high level of interest in WriteAway has been seen at many levels at BC colleges and universities. This reflects the recognition that a collaborative service is the best way to benefit more learners in a cost-effective manner.
Going where the learners are
BC learners in the 21st century are living in an online world, wirelessly connected to the web 24x7. They're also busy juggling commitments to school, part- or full-time employment, and family. They need an online service that can support them at their point of need.
Leveraging resources for greater benefit
An online collaborative service, supported and staffed by many institutions, will make possible the creation of an "anywhere" service available many more hours than a single institution can offer on its own. This will leverage existing resources and infrastructure, and create a more cost-effective, collaborative model.
- Feedback to a Douglas College online writing tutor